
According to my Outlook calendar today was supposed to be a meeting, then a meeting, followed by another meeting, concluding with a major meeting. I had two 30 minute gaps of time in which I hoped to grab a bite to eat and get my ducks in a row for the major meeting at the end of the day.
When I drove into the parking lot at school and parked in my special Assistant Principal parking space, the morning seemed like any other morning. Then as I closed my car door and took two steps away, I realized that I had left my coffee in the car. I NEVER leave my coffee behind -- it is more likely that I leave my left testicle in the seat than my coffee in the cup holder. After recovering from the shock, I unlock the door and grab the cup. Was this a sign of things to come?
As I walk into the building, the custodian greets me to let me know that a neighbor who walks on our track each morning reports that there is a dead deer on our soccer field. I also learn that dead deer removal is not included in the job descriptions of custodians in our particular school system.
I then continue on to my office to learn that my principal is sick and will not be in to school this morning -- so no passing the buck to her (no pun intended).
As the day is beautiful and I am sure that the PE teachers plan to use the field today, as does every class for recess, I call our district Operations folks to ask them to collect the deer -- as according to our custodian, this falls within their job descriptions. When I dial the number, I realize that the Operations Department and Transportation Department share a receptionist -- the dear lady who sends me bus tapes as the need arises. The kind lady wishes me good morning and asks which bus I need a tape for THIS TIME? She is quite excited that my need is different. After I explain the situation, she asks two questions that I am not expecting -- (1) is it a fresh kill? and (2) does it have a big rack? (Only in Alabama). She explains that if the answer to either question is yes, she knows someone who will come get it within the hour, otherwise our guys could take several hours to collect it.
I then wander out to the soccer field to see first hand if we have ourselves a fresh kill or a big rack (I feel really uncomfortable writing the words "big rack" over and over again). The dearly departed was positioned in the grass, just off the walking track. Not a big-racked buck, but Bambi's mom instead. She appeared to have been attacked by something as her side was ripped open and a portion of her insides were hanging out. Flies were swarming, so I assume the kill wasn't 'fresh' enough.
By the time I returned to the building, I was approached by three different students wanting to know about the deer -- news travels fast. Rumors ranged from the deer being hit by a school bus this morning, to it being shot with two red arrows with green feathers (after the past few weeks, I must say that the kids come by their creative rumor spreading quite honestly).
I call back operations, secretary says they will be out 'later'. Kids were held captive inside the school for PE and recess for a good part of the morning. Bambi's mom was retrieved by 10 AM. I was told not to ask any questions about the disposal of the body...
The rest of the day was pretty chaotic, but the most noteworthy event was that the previously mentioned video tape was successfully repaired and requested by the 'higher-ups" in our transportation department later in the day. We'll have to wait to find out what becomes of this request...
When I drove into the parking lot at school and parked in my special Assistant Principal parking space, the morning seemed like any other morning. Then as I closed my car door and took two steps away, I realized that I had left my coffee in the car. I NEVER leave my coffee behind -- it is more likely that I leave my left testicle in the seat than my coffee in the cup holder. After recovering from the shock, I unlock the door and grab the cup. Was this a sign of things to come?
As I walk into the building, the custodian greets me to let me know that a neighbor who walks on our track each morning reports that there is a dead deer on our soccer field. I also learn that dead deer removal is not included in the job descriptions of custodians in our particular school system.
I then continue on to my office to learn that my principal is sick and will not be in to school this morning -- so no passing the buck to her (no pun intended).
As the day is beautiful and I am sure that the PE teachers plan to use the field today, as does every class for recess, I call our district Operations folks to ask them to collect the deer -- as according to our custodian, this falls within their job descriptions. When I dial the number, I realize that the Operations Department and Transportation Department share a receptionist -- the dear lady who sends me bus tapes as the need arises. The kind lady wishes me good morning and asks which bus I need a tape for THIS TIME? She is quite excited that my need is different. After I explain the situation, she asks two questions that I am not expecting -- (1) is it a fresh kill? and (2) does it have a big rack? (Only in Alabama). She explains that if the answer to either question is yes, she knows someone who will come get it within the hour, otherwise our guys could take several hours to collect it.
I then wander out to the soccer field to see first hand if we have ourselves a fresh kill or a big rack (I feel really uncomfortable writing the words "big rack" over and over again). The dearly departed was positioned in the grass, just off the walking track. Not a big-racked buck, but Bambi's mom instead. She appeared to have been attacked by something as her side was ripped open and a portion of her insides were hanging out. Flies were swarming, so I assume the kill wasn't 'fresh' enough.
By the time I returned to the building, I was approached by three different students wanting to know about the deer -- news travels fast. Rumors ranged from the deer being hit by a school bus this morning, to it being shot with two red arrows with green feathers (after the past few weeks, I must say that the kids come by their creative rumor spreading quite honestly).
I call back operations, secretary says they will be out 'later'. Kids were held captive inside the school for PE and recess for a good part of the morning. Bambi's mom was retrieved by 10 AM. I was told not to ask any questions about the disposal of the body...
The rest of the day was pretty chaotic, but the most noteworthy event was that the previously mentioned video tape was successfully repaired and requested by the 'higher-ups" in our transportation department later in the day. We'll have to wait to find out what becomes of this request...
No comments:
Post a Comment